Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Trying to Earn Global Online from the Philippines: 8 Random Facts About Manila Mom

I enjoyed reading Sexy Mom's post, "Am I Weird?", and realized that I had been tagged by Moodswinging Mommy on 8 Random Facts About Myself. This seems like a good time to do it.

Some things to add to your virtual picture of me:

1. I am exactly 4'11 3/4" but I often round off my height to 5'. I just fluff up my hair a bit and hope that it takes care of that fourth of an inch.

2. Because of my height - or lack thereof - I used to wear really high stilletos or platforms all the time. My fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome has caught up with me, though, and high heels or even platforms now trigger episodes of severe muscle pain and debilitating tiredness.

I'm now wearing flipflops everywhere. I'm loving the dressier sequined Asian styles of Grendha. When I find a style I like, I get them in all colors! I rationalize that they make up for my feeling short and sloppy in flats. (I still wear heels on special occasions but make sure I have my trusty flipflops in the car.)

3. I love ampalaya (bitter gourd) and ampalaya tops. I can have them with every meal in any way - as salads, sauteed alone, sauteed with egg, in pinakbet, in ampalaya con carne, with monggo, with sardines...you get the picture.

4. Another one of my all-time-favorite comfort food combinations is olives and rice. I remember having this with my Dad when I was a little girl and I now have this with my kids. My youngest daughter especially loves it, too. (Of course we also love olives on everything else.)

5. I don't cook but I'm really good at inventing recipes. I give detailed instructions to our very reliable helper and it turns out fabulous.

6. I'm a scaredy-cat. I don't like being alone in a room, especially in the dark. I'm scared of ghosts and other supernatural manifestations. But I'm planning on writing supernatural fiction. Go figure. I'll probably end up scaring myself.

7. I can't sing. I can't hit a single note right. Never ever ask me to sing.

8. I'm loving the white hair that I'm seeing like highlights on my head. I also love having mahogany hair color, though. I'd like to find a way to still color my hair mahogany and retain the white hair. Even my vanity is off.

So there. Now you know me a little better.

Update: Manila Mom is now ranked 43 in the Top 100 Philippine Blogs by Ratified.org. I can't believe this blog is within the top 50!

P.S. June 18:

Talk about being forgetful! I totally forgot to tag other bloggers for this meme, and I just realized it.

I now tag:

The CityLifeStylist
Female Gamer
Up the Hill Gang
Make Money Online the Quick and Easy Way
Friendship Is Forever

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations! and i wanted to ask you how you did that jump on ratified.

anyway, #1 about height, we are just almost the same height, i am 5", #2 i now also wear flipflops-havaianas, #3 that's weird, very few people "love" ampalaya, #4 olives are ok but i don't like them, #5 same here, i do not cook, #6 i am used to being alone in hotel rooms because of the travels in the past 10 years, and i see ghosts every now and then, most vivid was in a cambodia hotel, remember pol pot massacre? #7 same here, please please don't ask me to sing--don't you think that is so un-filipino? #8 how come you love the white hair?

i enjoyed this post, many similarities and many differences between us.

Therese San Diego said...

Wow! I can't believe it! Mommy made me laugh, and not with her usual corny jokes. Bravo, bravo! Hahahaha ;P

Ashley said...

I think you are very interesting. In fact, I would love to do an author's interview with you, if you have time. I am amazed about you having 96 romance titles published! You are my hero!

M said...

Sexy Mom, the ratified jump was largely due to ViralTags. I'm hoping to follow up with the links, though, to establish a real relationship with the new network.

You know, I always include it in my prayers to please not give me the ability to sense spirits. I'm really scared.

About the white hair, I guess it's because my husband has always had salt-and-pepper hair even in college. My 18 year old daughter also began to have white streaks in her hair as early as elementary. I like the "highlights" I have now but I'm not sure how I'd feel once they spread all over :)

Nice to know we have lots in common!

My daughter, The CityLifeStylist - I thought Daddy was supposed to be the corny one? :D


, Savvy Writer, thank you very much! I'd be honored with an interview :)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hi ManilaMom! I love every entry, but one that stood out was Entry #6 - really made me laugh! (end up scaring myself and all that) ha ha ha! Good one! Good luck with the interview Mom! Mabuhay!

M said...

AnitoKid, I usually write at night, especially for my romance novels. When I start writing supernatural stuff, though, I'll make sure it's broad daylight!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Maia - Isn't it odd what society makes us do - what's wrong with being short? Yeah, everybody wants to be 5'8" and wear a size 3. Phooey! Wear those flip-flops, girl.

M said...

Right, Morgan! Like Winnie the Pooh said: I'm short, fat, and proud of that!

In my previous mindset I would call my current body "fat." Now I just know I'm comfy in my own skin. Besides, my hubby thinks I'm curvy :)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Found this on my blog - could be an interesting read, Manila Mom :)

The link is at:
http://anitokid.blogspot.com/2007/06/anitokids-picks-for-top-10-emerging.html

Anonymous said...

hi maia!

loved this entry! learned a lot from you. what particularly struck me is #6. there are times that my own imagination scares me to death. waahh..

congrats on being in the TOP50! Wow!

btw, i tagged u in my latest post. Hope you can join, too. :)

Have a nice evening!

M said...

AnitoKid, you are full of surprises! My daughters and I thank you so much, bro!

Des, si AnitoKid ang promotor ng viraltags na tumulong nang malaki sa ranking ko.

Thanks for the tag, Des. I will probably have difficulty keeping the post short :D

Unknown said...

A very chic mom. I love that I got to visit your blog again :D

M said...

Thank you, Angel. And I loved visiting your blog, too. I feel an immediate affinity for young fashionistas like my daughter ;D

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hi Mom! In a rush, but have to let you know - the third generation of the ViralLink is here. It's called ViralIcons and its still fresh! The link is at

http://anitokid.blogspot.com/2007/06/viral-icons-increasing-ones-rank-with.html

M said...

Many thanks, AnitoKid!!!

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Just read your message ManilaMom! In that case, please try copying the whole thing (starting with the "Start Copying from This Line" text). It might work. Hope this helps...:)

M said...

I did but it still doesn't work. That's okay. Maybe this one isn't meant for me.

Thanks though!

Jenny said...

Congrats on being #43!! That is awesome!! I've just posted my 8 random facts that you tagged me for..didn't want you to think I had forgotten!

I can't sing either! And I really do hate being by myself...and sorry to hear that you have to endure all the yuck that comes with fibromyalgia and CFS.

M said...

Great post, Jen! If only I could ask you to send me those chicken parts you don't eat :D

The fibro and CFS really are downers. I keep on looking for ways to beat them so I thought I might as well blog about them.

By the way,the blog has inched its way to #27! Yippeee!

Thanks to all the readers and linkers!

Jenny said...

Hi there Manila Mom! You asked about my child that had been on the transplant list...his little body wasn't able to hold out for his transplant and he died. It's been a little over a year. I miss him very much but I rejoice in the fact that he is perfectly healed and in Heaven! Gus was 16 months old when he died...he was a lot of fun! Thanks for asking! I love to talk about him!!

M said...

Oh yes, Jen. This is why you have Gus' Gang as a ministry for families with chronically ill children.

I, too, lost a baby brother to leukemia when he was just 14 months old. Even if we know they are angels up there, going through the illness with babies and young children is very painful.

God bless your ministry!

Powered by WebRing.


 
ss_blog_claim=eb84bdccc67501a69af94b64720df3d8